[Numpy-discussion] curious about how people would feel about moving to github

Stéfan van der Walt stefan at sun.ac.za
Wed May 26 20:11:39 EDT 2010

On 26 May 2010 16:12, Travis Oliphant <oliphant at enthought.com> wrote:
> I changed the subject line for this thread, since I didn't want to
> hijack another thread.  Anyway, I am not proposing that we actually
> decide whether to move to git and github now, but I am just curious
> how people would feel.  We had a conversation about this a few years
> ago and it was quite contentious at the time.  Since then, I believe a
> number of us have started using git and github for most of our work.
> And there are a number of developers using git-svn to develop numpy
> now.  So I was curious to get a feeling for what people would think
> about it, if we moved to git.  (I don't want to rehash the arguments
> for the move.)
>
> I think we are ready for such a move.    Someone should think about the
> implications, though (with Trac integration, check-in mailings, etc.) and
> make sure we get something we all like.   Somebody probably has thought
> through all of these things already, though.

Awesome, if there's enough interest I'll help Jarrod out on the NEP.
I've been looking at GitHub's Trac integration, and it seems that we
should be able to have the same level of integration with the
bugtracker as we currently do.  Their plugin is available here:

http://github.com/davglass/github-trac/

The SVN-checkout functionality should take care of the build bot.  As
a bonus, we no longer have to administrate user accounts.  Converting
the SVN repo to Git should pose no problem.

Regards
Stéfan