[Numpy-discussion] numpy + MKL and AMD64 CPU, recognized as 32 bit

Andrzej Giniewicz gginiu at gmail.com
Sun May 2 06:13:21 EDT 2010

Hi,

from what I've been reading, and testing myself, 64bit CPU's from AMD
and actually it seems like almost all 64bit other than IA64, use em64t
in MKL - but in Numpy (at least 1.4.1), this architecture is picked
only for Xeon - though older Xeons were not 64 bit iirc - I'm talking
about numpy/distutils/system_info.py file, mkl_info class, __init__
function. The fragment:

            from cpuinfo import cpu
            l = 'mkl' # use shared library
            if cpu.is_Itanium():
                plt = '64'
                #l = 'mkl_ipf'
            elif cpu.is_Xeon():
                plt = 'em64t'
                #l = 'mkl_em64t'
            else:
                plt = '32'
                #l = 'mkl_ia32'

with this, my AMD64 that works with em64t (that's version I have
installed and that passes all tests, that is MKL 10.2.5.035) is
recognized as 32 bit.

Wouldn't it be better to check for is_64bit instead of is_Xeon?

Thanks in advance for hints,
Andrzej.