[Numpy-discussion] draft release guide

Francesc Alted faltet at pytables.org
Wed Mar 24 05:50:42 EDT 2010

A Wednesday 24 March 2010 01:49:50 Ralf Gommers escrigué:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM, Christopher Barker
>
> <Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>wrote:
> > Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > > At http://github.com/rgommers/NumPy-release-guide you can find a
> > > summary of how to set up your system to build numpy binaries on OS X. I
> > > still have to add info on scipy (that's turning out to be fairly
> > > painful) but for numpy it is pretty complete.
> > >
> > > Any feedback is appreciated!
> >
> > We really don't want to supply binaries for python 2.5 anymore?
> >
> > (maybe this will get me to finally switch!
>
> That's fast, I was hoping to get away with that one!
>
> I discussed a bit with David, and he suggested to not make 2.5 binaries for
> scipy 0.7.2 and then see if there was still any demand. It's a lot of work
> with perhaps not so much return. Of course a maintenance release of scipy
> with no new features may be a different story from a new release of
> numpy/scipy. So by no means is this decided or even publicly discussed. I
>  do want to point out that we have not provided 2.4 binaries for a while
>  without much demand.
>
> So now the question: who still wants and uses 2.5 binaries?

I do.  I think at least 2 binary versions is a recommendable practice for
allowing people to change versions more comfortably.

Also, I have read the draft and I cannot see references to 64-bit binary
packages.  With the advent of Windows 7 and Mac OSX Snow Leopard, 64-bit are
way more spread than before, so they would be a great thing to deliver, IMO.

Thanks,

--
Francesc Alted