[Numpy-discussion] C vs. Fortran order -- misleading documentation?

Pavel Bazant MaxPlanck at seznam.cz
Mon Jun 7 07:52:49 EDT 2010

Correct me if I am wrong, but the paragraph

Note to those used to IDL or Fortran memory order as it relates to indexing. Numpy uses C-order indexing. That means that the last index usually (see xxx for exceptions) represents the most rapidly changing memory location, unlike Fortran or IDL, where the first index represents the most rapidly changing location in memory. This difference represents a great potential for confusion.

in

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/user/basics.indexing.html

is quite misleading, as C-order means that the last index changes rapidly, not the
memory location.

Pavel