[Numpy-discussion] f2py unrecognized vendors

Brandt Belson bbelson at princeton.edu
Tue Jun 1 12:00:12 EDT 2010

Hello,
I'm not sure if f2py questions are appropriate here, but I have a question.
I had been using f2py without problems, but recently it stopped working.
It's worth mentioning that I'm working remotely on a cluster, and I don't
have root access, so it's possible that the system admins changed something
without my knowledge. Also, this version of python, numpy, and f2py are
installed locally on a drive that is sometimes purged. Unfortunately I had
no other way to install things. I use f2py with intel's ifort, and the
following compile command used to work.

$WORK/local/bin/f2py -c -m readBlaFortran readBlaFortran.f putxyp.f rdiscr.f
--fcompiler=intelem

However, now it gives the following messages:
Unknown vendor: "intelem"
running build
running config_cc
unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --compiler
options
running config_fc
unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler
options
running build_src
building extension "readBlaFortran" sources
f2py options: []
f2py:> /tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6/readBlaFortranmodule.c
creating /tmp/tmpRerO2Q
creating /tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6
Reading fortran codes...
Reading file 'readBlaFortran.f' (format:fix,strict)
Reading file 'par.f' (format:fix,strict)
 Reading file 'putxyp.f' (format:fix,strict)
Reading file 'par.f' (format:fix,strict)
Reading file 'rdiscr.f' (format:fix,strict)
 Reading file 'par.f' (format:fix,strict)
Post-processing...
Block: readBlaFortran
Block: readbla
 Block: putxyp
Block: rdiscr
Post-processing (stage 2)...
Building modules...
Building module "readBlaFortran"...
 Constructing wrapper function "readbla"...
  ur,re,xl,zl,t,xs,dstar,fltype,bparams = readbla(blafile,m,header)
 Constructing wrapper function "putxyp"...
  putxyp(pln,z,i,ur)
Constructing wrapper function "rdiscr"...
   rdiscr(ur,re,xl,zl,t,xs,dstar,fltype,bparams,namnin,m,pln,urx,header)
Wrote C/API module "readBlaFortran" to file
"/tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6/readBlaFortranmodule.c"
  adding '/tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6/fortranobject.c' to sources.
  adding '/tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6' to include_dirs.
copying
/work/01225/bbelson/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/f2py/src/fortranobject.c
-> /tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6
copying
/work/01225/bbelson/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/numpy/f2py/src/fortranobject.h
-> /tmp/tmpRerO2Q/src.linux-x86_64-2.6
running build_ext
customize UnixCCompiler
customize UnixCCompiler using build_ext
don't know how to compile Fortran code on platform 'posix' with 'intelem'
compiler. Supported compilers are: )
warning: build_ext: f77_compiler=intelem is not available.
building 'readBlaFortran' extension
error: extension 'readBlaFortran' has Fortran sources but no Fortran
compiler found

It seems that it's not recognizing any fortran compilers. I've tried
specifying the path to ifort and changing the vendor name to intel and
ifort, but none changed the result. Does anyone know a possible cause for
this?
Thank you