[Numpy-discussion] First shot at svn->git conversion

David david at silveregg.co.jp
Mon Jul 26 05:16:47 EDT 2010

On 07/26/2010 05:44 PM, Pauli Virtanen wrote:
> Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:57:36 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>> I have finally prepared and uploaded a test repository containing numpy
>> code:
>>
>> http://github.com/numpy/numpy_svn
>
> Some observations based on a quick look:
>
> 1)
>
> $ git branch -r
>    origin/maintenance/1.1.x_5227
>    origin/maintenance/1.5.x/doc/numpybook/comparison/pyrex
>    origin/maintenance/1.5.x/doc/pyrex
>    origin/svntags/0.9.6_2236
>
> These don't look right?

The 1.5.* are weird, especially the doc/* ones, I am not sure what the
issue is. The weird one in svntags is because the tag has been
"recreated". We could just remove them a posteriori, but it bothers me a
bit not to know where they are coming from.

> 2)
>
> Would it be possible to get real Git tags for the tags in SVN?

Yes, but the convertor manual advised against it, because svn has no
real notion of tags: the git tag and and the svn tag may not correpond
to the same tree, and it seems there are a lot of funky corner cases
(unlikely to happen in numpy, though).

One could just put the release tags, with a manual check ?

> How much do we lose if we just drop the
> svntags/* stuff (it clutters up the branch -r output)?

We don't lose much if we put the tags as git tags.

> 3)
>
> Some people have their SVN commit account in format forename.surname --
> it might be OK to translate this to "Forename Surname" even if we do not
> hear back from them?
>
> 	alan.mcintyre
> 	chris.barker
> 	chris.burns
> 	christoph.weidemann
> 	darren.dale
> 	paul.ivanov
> 	tim_hochberg

Sure

> Also, Ralf has the Git ID in format "rgommers<...email...>", but I guess
> that's correct?
>
> For other people (eg Pierre GM, Michael Droettboom) who might still be
> active contributors in the future, it could be nice to know what Git ID
> they are going to use.

Indeed. I would confess that's one of the main reason to publish the
temporary repository, to make the transition that much more real :)

cheers,

David