[Numpy-discussion] numpy for Python 3?

Scott Sinclair scott.sinclair.za at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 11:34:50 EDT 2010

>On 19 July 2010 16:53, Richard D. Moores <rdmoores at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 07:38, Dave <dave.hirschfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you say you "do have one" I'm assuming that when you entered gcc at the
>> command line you got the "gcc: no input files" error message back. In this case
>> we need to tell python to use the gcc compilers.
>
> No, I don't have gcc. I had access to gcc on a shell account, and used it.

The NumPy source contains C code as well as pure Python code. This
means that you must have a C compiler properly installed on your
computer if you want to build your own NumPy for Python 3.x. As David
Cournapeau mentioned early in this thread, it's not always
straightforward to build NumPy on Windows.

I stand corrected here, but I *think* that the current plan is to have
Windows installers for Python 3.x with the next release, i.e. NumPy
1.5, but they might only come with the release of NumPy 2.0. Until
then you can probably save yourself some pain by using the NumPy 1.4.1
release with Python 2.6/2.5..

Cheers,
Scott