[Numpy-discussion] BOF notes: Fernando's proposal: NumPy ndarray with named axes

Lluís xscript at gmx.net
Thu Jul 8 17:30:59 EDT 2010

Joshua Holbrook writes:
>> arr[not int] -> tick-based indexing

> At the BoF, we chose to drop this because we wanted to allow integer ticks (or
> implicit type conversion, either way) without the ambiguity of, "did we mean
> that in the ndarray sense or in a "tick with the name '1'" sense?

Sorry, I didn't get the part about implicit type conversion. Did you mean
objects implementing the '__int__' method?

Still, I have a question. Did you also agree that this should forcibly index
through ticks?

  arr.something[int]      -> tick-based indexing

Or is it viable to use

  arr.something[str(int)] -> tick-based indexing
  arr.something[int]      -> normal indexing

You probably discussed about the pros and cons of this, which is always easier
and more productive when face-to-face, so I'd jus tlike to know if something was
agreed on this.

Thanks a lot, and sorry for my flooding of emails. It's just that I've already
been working on much of this, and I've already developed for some time a set of
ideas on how the syntax should be :)

Lluis

 Tollbooth