[Numpy-discussion] Warning on http://scipy.org/ about binary incompatibility ?

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 10:08:23 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 9:09 AM, Dag Sverre Seljebotn
<dagss at student.matnat.uio.no> wrote:
> josef.pktd at gmail.com wrote:

>>> Because then any extension fails to import with a clear message instead
>>> of crashing as it does now. It does not matter much if you know the
>>> crash is coming from an incompatible ABI, but it does if you don't :)
>>>

>> I thought we could get away with a small binary incompatibility,
>> without rebuilding everything. I'm using matplotlib although not
>> extensively and it didn't crash in a while. (I don't remember which
>> version of scipy I used for the last time when I had a crashing
>> script.)
>>
> This made my hairs stand up on my back...

Maybe this wasn't well phrased, with "we" I meant users like myself,
and for example not the numpy developers.
I'm strongly in favor of warnings, but not of enforced not running at all.

For example I don't know whether h5py would work with numpy 1.4 if
cython (I think) wouldn't prevent me from importing it.

If I had the option I would stick with numpy 1.3 until the mess is
cleared up and other packages are available in xxx-numpy1.4.x
versions.

Cheers,

Josef