[Numpy-discussion] Re ading scientific notation using D instead of E

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 12 12:27:31 EST 2010

Robert Kern wrote:
> numpy.float is indeed Python's builtin float type (for obscure
> historical reasons that I won't go into). However, in Python 2.5, at
> least, the parsing of the string is offloaded to the standard C
> function strtod().

well, sort of -- it's pre-processed first, to add some numpy features,
including parsing of NaN's. So it wouldn't be all that hard to add this
too (well not that hard in the context of messing around in ugly C code,
anyway).

See my messages about fromfile() a few weeks ago for details.

By the way, I got as far as identifying bugs/issues in that code, but
not fixing them -- I'll try to do that before the upcoming
1.5/2.0/whatever release.

If anyone wants to work in this issue, it might make sense to collaborate.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov