David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 08:38:15 EST 2010

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 10:29 PM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 8:07 AM, Francesc Alted <faltet at pytables.org> wrote:
>> A Saturday 06 February 2010 13:17:22 David Cournapeau escrigué:
>>>
>>> In that regard, your proposal is very similar to what was suggested at
>>> the beginning - the difference is only whether breaking at 1.4.x or
>>> 1.5.x.
>>
>> I'm thinking why should we so conservative in raising version numbers?  Why
>> not relabeling 1.4.0 to 2.0 and mark 1.4.0 as a broken release?  Then, we can
>> continue by putting everything except ABI breaking features in 1.4.1.  With
>> this, NumPy 2.0 will remain available for people wanting to be more on-the-
>> bleeding-edge.  Something similar to what has happened with Python 3.0, which
>> has not prevented the 2.x series to evolve.
>>
>> How this sounds?
>
> I think breaking with 1.5 sounds good because it starts the second
> part of the 1.x series.

This is the original proposal, but one that not everybody agreed on
it. I am just trying to find a middleground so that everybody is
behind it.

> 2.0 could be for the big overhaul that David has in mind, unless it
> will not be necessary anymore

It will still be necessary, but that's a more long term goal. I think
it is relatively independent to this discussion since it is agreed
that ABI will not be broken more than once.

David