[Numpy-discussion] numpy for jython

Travis Oliphant oliphant at enthought.com
Fri Dec 24 00:29:48 EST 2010

On Dec 23, 2010, at 4:24 PM, Thunemann, Paul Z wrote:

> I'd be very interested in hearing more about a numpy port to Java and Jython.  If anyone has more info about how to get involved please let me know.

The numpy-refactor should help with this.

You basically need to write a Java extension which uses the new libndarray (presumably using JNI).   I am not an expert on Java, but the design of NumPy / SciPy for .NET was to allow a NumPy for Java (and Jython) as well.   There is probably about 1-3 man months of work however to build the interface.   Currently, there are two interfaces:  a CPython and a .NET interface (written in C#), a Java interface written in Java (using JNI for the native code interaction) would make NumPy available to Jython.

The SciPy port to .NET is being accomplished by porting SciPy to use Cython and Fwrap.   This will allow SciPy for Jython as well, once a Java / JNI backend to Cython is completed.

-Travis