[Numpy-discussion] printoption to allow hexified floats?

David Warde-Farley wardefar at iro.umontreal.ca
Wed Dec 1 21:53:21 EST 2010

On 2010-12-01, at 2:18 PM, Ken Basye wrote:

>     On a somewhat related note, is there a table someplace which shows
> which versions of Python are supported in each release of Numpy?  I
> found an FAQ that mentioned 2.4 and 2.5, but since it didn't mention 2.6
> or 2.7 (much less 3.1), I assume it's out of date.  This relates to the
> above since it would be harder to support a new hex printoption for
> Pythons before 2.6.

NumPy 1.5.x still aims to support Python >= 2.4. I don't know what the plans are for dropping 2.4 support, but I don't think 2.5 would be dropped until some time after official support for 2.4 is phased out.

I'm confused how having an exact hex representation of a float would help with doctests, though. It seems like it would exacerbate platform issues. One thought is to include a 'print' and explicit format specifier, which (I think?) is fairly consistent across platforms... or is this what you mean to say you're already doing?

David