[Numpy-discussion] Re reply: numpy installation problems

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 14:16:15 EDT 2010

  On 08/23/2010 12:06 PM, martin djokovic wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> Thanks but thats not working-I am already root-I have tried to give in
> detail what I am doing
>
> Used steps............................................
>

> I downloaded numpy-all of the following and none worked-also I have a
> FEDORA CORE 6 with Python 2.4 in my machine.
>

> numpy-1.5.0b2.tar.gz
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.5.0b2/numpy-1.5.0b2.tar.gz/download>
>
> numpy-1.4.1b2.tar.gz
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.5.0b2/numpy-1.5.0b2.tar.gz/download>
>
> numpy-1.3.0b2.tar.gz
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.5.0b2/numpy-1.5.0b2.tar.gz/download>
>

> The way the system is setup means that as root I cannot see my own
> Desktop (user Desktop) so I download the TAR file then move it to
> /scratch/ (a common area that the root and user can see)
>

> Then I do
>
> su -
>
> login as root then navigate to to /scratch/numpy/
>

> Then do
>
> python setup.py install
>

> While installing (the above command) this is flaged in red-should I
> worry???
>
> gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
>

> Then I do the following
>
> python (this works)

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>
> File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line
> 144, in ?
>
> import fft
>
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/__init__.py",
> line 4, in ?
>
> from fftpack import *
>
> File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/fftpack.py",
> line 28, in ?
>
> import fftpack_lite as fftpack
>
> ImportError:
> /usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/fft/fftpack_lite.so:
> undefined symbol: vmldCos2
>

> I am really sorry if this is confusing.
>
> Thank you so much for your patiance in this matter

Given that the error pertains to the /usr/local directory, you may have
python installed in more than one location. So please check the path to
python is being used as a normal user and as root - such as doing the
'which python' command.

Really you must remove the
'/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numpy/' directory and other
numpy files *before* installing numpy and scipy.  Then you probably need
to specific the full path to the python you want to use - something like:
$/usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

While I doubt that your current setup is controlled by your Fedora 6
package manager, you should be able to determine if numpy was originally
installed via the distro by querying the installed packages. Your
package manager should show it as installed if you search for numpy or
just use rpm:
$rpm -qa | numpy

If so, then you probably can do:
$yum reinstall numpy

You may be able to yum or whatever package manager to install both numpy
and scipy if these are both in Fedora 6 repositiories (they are for
Fedora 13). For example, as root:
$ yum install numpy scipy

Bruce