[Numpy-discussion] mingw-w64 tutorial ?

Sebastian Haase seb.haase at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 17:37:13 EDT 2010

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Christoph Gohlke <cgohlke at uci.edu> wrote:

> On 8/21/2010 1:44 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> this is somewhat OT for this list, but since I know that David and
>> many others here have lot's of experience compiling C extensions I
>> thought I could just ask:
>> Looking at
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw-w64/files/
>> I did not know (even after reading the FAQ) which file to download and
>> how things would eventually work.
>>
>> I have a 64bit windows 7 installed, and got many precompiled packages
>> for amd64 Python 2.7 from
>> http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/
>> (thanks to  Christoph Gohlke for all the work)
>> But now I have some C++ extensions on my own, and know how build them
>> using cygwin -- but that would only produce 32bit modules and should
>> be unusable.
>>
>> So, the question is if someone has or knows of some tutorial about how
>> to go about this - step by step. This info could maybe even go the
>> scipy wiki....
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Sebastian Haase
>

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> I am not aware of such a tutorial. There's some information at
> <http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/MicrosoftToolchainSupport>
>
> I did not have good experience last time (about a year ago) I tried
> mingw-w64. Occasional crashes during compilation and at runtime.
> Probably that has changed. At least you have to create the missing
> libpython and libmsvcr90 libraries from the dlls and make libmsvcr90 the
> default crt.
>
> You probably know that the "free" Windows 7 Platform SDK can be used to
> build Python >=2.6 extensions written in C89.
> <http://mattptr.net/2010/07/28/building-python-extensions-in-a-modern-windows-environment/>
>
> --
Hi Christoph,

I did not exactly know this - thanks for the info (I knew about
something called Visual Studio Express 2003- but that only
works/worked for Python 2.5, I think...)

Rephrasing my original question: Is the mingw-w64 at all "easy" by now
? How about cross compiling to 64bit Windows from a 32bit Ubuntu (that
I could easily run on virtualbox) ?

(But I'm not apposed at all to the "free" Windows 7 Platform SDK, so
I'll look into that -- giant download !?)

Thanks,
Sebastian