[Numpy-discussion] Disabling Extended Precision in NumPy (like -ffloat-store)

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Apr 21 13:20:03 EDT 2010

Adrien Guillon wrote:
>  I use single-precision floating point operations.
>
> My understanding, however, is that Intel processors may use extended
> precision for some operations anyways unless this is explicitly
> disabled, which is done with gcc via the -ffloat-store operation.

IIUC, that forces the FPU to not use the 80 bits in temps, but I think
the fpu still uses 64 bits -- or does that flag actually force singles
to stay single (32 bit) through the whole process as well?

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov