[Numpy-discussion] MFDatasets and NetCDF4

David Huard david.huard at gmail.com
Fri Sep 25 09:14:31 EDT 2009

Hi George,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 6:55 AM, George Nurser <gnurser at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope this is the right place to ask this.
> I've found the MFDataset works well in reading NetCDF3 files, but it
> appears that it doesn't work at present for NetCDF4 files.

It works on my side for netCDF4 files. What error are you getting ?

> Is this an inherent problem with the NetCDF4 file structure, or would
> it be possible to implement the MFDataset for NetCDF4 files sometime?
> It would be very useful.
>

>From the docstring:

 Datasets must be in C{NETCDF4_CLASSIC, NETCDF3_CLASSIC or NETCDF3_64BIT}
    format (C{NETCDF4} Datasets won't work).

I suspect your files are not in CLASSIC mode. NETCDF4 datasets are allowed
to have a more complex hierarchy than the CLASSIC mode, and I think this is
what makes concatenation difficult to implement. That is, there would be no
simple rule to determine which fields should be concatenated.

David