[Numpy-discussion] Numpy depends on OpenSSL ???

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 12:20:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:52 AM, Mark Sienkiewicz <sienkiew at stsci.edu>wrote:

> I have discovered the hard way that numpy depends on openssl.
>
> I am building a 64 bit python environment for the macintosh.  I
> currently do not have a 64 bit openssl library installed, so the python
> interpreter does not have hashlib.  (hashlib gets its md5 function from
> the openssl library.)
>
> The problem is in numpy/core/code_generators/genapi.py, where it appears
> to be trying to make an md5 hash of the declarations of some of the C
> functions.
>
> What is this hash used for?  Is there a particular reason that it needs
> to be cryptographically strong?

The hash is used as a way to check for any API changes. It doesn't have to
be cryptographically strong, it just needs to scatter the hashed values
effectively and we could probably use something simpler. I tend to regard
this problem as a Python bug because the standard python modules should be
available on all platforms. In any case, we should find a fix. Please open a
ticket.

Chuck