[Numpy-discussion] question about future support for python-3

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 21:03:25 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:08 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>  - it remains to be seen whether we can do the py3k support in the
> same source tree as the one use for python >= 2.4. Having two source
> trees would make the effort even much bigger, well over the current
> developers capacity IMHO.

I know ipython is a very different beast than numpy for this
discussion (no C code at all, but extensive, invasive and often
obscure use of the stdlib and the language itself).  But FWIW, I have
convinced myself that we will only really be able to seriously tackle
the 3 transition when we can ditch 2.5 compatibility and have a tree
that runs for 2.6 only, with all the -3 options turned on.  Only at
that point does it become feasible to start attacking the 3 transition
for us.  We simply don't have the manpower to manage multiple source
trees that diverge fully and exist separately for 2.x and 3.x.

Cheers,