[Numpy-discussion] numpy loadtxt - ValueError: setting an array element with a sequence.

Pierre GM pgmdevlist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 14:31:24 EDT 2009

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:30 AM, TheLonelyStar wrote:

> Adter trying the same thing in matlab, I realized that my "tsv" file
> is not
> matrix-style. But this I mean, not all lines ave the same lenght
> (not the
> same number of values).
>
> What would be the best way to load this?

The SVN version of np.genfromtxt will let you know where some rows are
longer than others. You can decide what to do from then (ignore the
corresponding rows or modify your file).
The .fromfile approach is a solution if you don't really care about
getting a 2D array (or structured 1D array with different fields for
ints and floats on a same row), as a previous poster illustrated.