[Numpy-discussion] Syntax highlighting for Cython and NumPy

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Tue Oct 27 17:46:08 EDT 2009

Here is an XML for Cython syntax highlighting in katepart (e.g. KATE and
KDevelop). I made this because KATE is my faviourite text edior (feel
free to call me a heretic for not using emacs). Unfortunately, the
Python highlighting for KDE contains several bugs. And the Pyrex/Cython
version that circulates on the web builds on this and introduces a
couple more. I have tried to clean it up. Note that this will also
highlight numpy.* or np.*, if * is a type or function you get from
"cimport numpy" or "import numpy". This works on Windows as well, if you
have installed KDE for Windows. Just copy the XML to:

   ~/.kde/share/apps/katepart/syntax/
   C:\kde\share\apps\katepart\syntax  (or whereever you have KDE installed)

and "Cython with NumPy" shows up under Sources. Anyway, this is the
syntax high-lighter I use to write Cython. Feel free to use it as you wish.

P.S. I am also cleaning up Python high-lighting for KDE. Not done yet,
but I will post a "Python with NumPy" highlighter later on if this is
interesting.

P.P.S. This also covers Pyrex, but add in some Cython stuff.

Sturla Molden