[Numpy-discussion] Objected-oriented SIMD API for Numpy

Mathieu Blondel mathieu at mblondel.org
Wed Oct 21 04:38:20 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Mathieu Blondel wrote:
>> I saw the video of Peter Norvig at the last Scipy conference who was
>> suggesting to merge Numpy into Cython. The SIMD API would be an
>> argument in favor of this too because of the possible interactions
>> between such a SIMD API and an array API.
>>

> Hm, I don't remember this - I guess I would have to look at the video.
> Do you know at which point of the presentation he discussed about SIMD ?

Peter Norvig suggested to merge Numpy into Cython but he didn't
mention SIMD as the reason (this one is from me). Sorry if I wasn't
clear. IIRC, the reason was to help democratize Numpy and make it
easier for users to install it. He went on to say that he talked about
it with Guido and apparently the main barrier was the release cycle.
Please check the video as I'm telling you that from memory.

Mathieu