[Numpy-discussion] extension questions: f2py and cython

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 09:19:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:53 AM, Robin <robince at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have another question about distributing a Python extension which
> uses f2py wrapped code. Ideally I'd like to keep pure Python/Numpy
> alternatives and just use fortran version if available - but I think
> that should be OK.
>
> I'm more worried about distributing binaries on Windows - I think on
> Mac/Linux it would be ok to have a fortran compiler required and build
> it - but on Windows I guess one should really distribute binaries.
>
> What is the recommended (free) fortran 95 compiler for use with f2py
> on windows (gfortan with cygwin?)
> Is it possible to get f2py to build a static library on windows so I
> can just distribute that? Or will I need to include library files from
> the compiler?
> How many different binary versions does one need to support common
> recent windows setups? I guess I need a different binary for each
> major python version and 32/64 bits (ie 2.5 32bit, 2.6 32bit, 2.5
> 64bit, 2.6 64bit). Is this right, or would different binaries be
> required for XP, Vista, 7 etc. ?

The same binaries should work on both XP and Vista.

> Can anyone point me to a smallish Python package that includes fortran
> code in this way that I could look to for inspiration?

I don't know if you can pymc smallish, but it is using a considerable
amount of fortran, and distributes only win32-py2.5 binaries.
http://code.google.com/p/pymc/

for the rest I have no idea.
(for numpy/scipy, I'm still using g77 with the official mingw for
windows xp, win32 only)

Josef