[Numpy-discussion] neighborhood iterator

Zachary Pincus zachary.pincus at yale.edu
Mon Nov 23 15:25:12 EST 2009

Hi,

Having just written some cython code to iterate a neighborhood across
an array, I have some ideas about features that would be useful for a
general frame. Specifically, being able to pass in a "footprint"
boolean array to define the neighborhood is really useful in many
contexts. Also useful is the ability to query the offset of the
current pixel from the center of the neighborhood. (These two
features, plus very efficient handling of boundary conditions by
breaking the image into regions where the conditions are and are not
required, make the image iterators in ITK really nice to use.)

Zach