[Numpy-discussion] Installing numpy under cygwin

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Nov 18 04:01:06 EST 2009

Olivia Cheronet wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am currently trying to install the latest version of NumPy for my cygwin Python, and I am having problems...
>
> I have downloaded the source, and unzipped and untarred it in my home directory.
> Subsequently, I included the following in the site.cfg file:
>
>> [DEFAULT]
>> library_dirs = /cygdrive/c/cygwin/lib
>> include_dirs = /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local/include
>> [blas_opt]
>> libraries = f77blas, cblas, atlas
>> [lapack_opt]
>> libraries = lapack, f77blas, cblas, atlas
>>

> In the Cygwin bash shell, after going to my home directory, I have executed:
> python setup.py config --compiler=mingw32 build --compiler=mingw32 install
> as instructed in the "Installing SciPy/Windows" page.

If you use cygwin, you should not follow the windows instructions. For
most purposes, cygwin works as unix. In particular, you don't think you
should not use mingw32 build on cygwin. The -mno-cygwin flag appended to
gcc is most likely coming from there, and this looks very wrong for a
cygwin build.

David