[Numpy-discussion] finding close together points.

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Nov 12 20:13:41 EST 2009

Charles R Harris wrote:
> So what you buy
> with an array implementation is the space/time efficiency of not having
> to allocate python types to put on the list. But you probably need to go
> through a python type at some point anyway,

When writing Python, yes (though maybe not if you are appending a lot of
data at once from a numpy array). That's whey my python implementation
is slower, and I suspect a C implementation would be similar in
performance to a list.

But if you are writing a C extension in C or Cython, then you could get
a real gain by not having to go through Python types.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov