[Numpy-discussion] Use-case for np.choose

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 05:00:27 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/11/8 David Goldsmith <d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com>:
> > On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Anne Archibald <
> peridot.faceted at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> Um, I don't think so.
> >>
> >> Think of it this way: you provide np.choose with a selector array, a,
> >> and a list (not array!) [c0, c1, ..., cM] of choices. You construct an
> >> output array, say r, the same shape as a (no matter how many
> >> dimensions it has).
> >
> > Except that I haven't yet seen a working example with 'a' greater than
> 1-D,
> > Josef's last two examples notwithstanding; or is that what you're saying
> is
> > the bug.
>
> There's nothing magic about A being one-dimensional.
>
> C = np.random.randn(2,3,5)
> A = (C>-1).astype(int) + (C>0).astype(int) + (C>1).astype(int)
>
> R = np.choose(A, (-1, -C, C, 1))

OK, now I get it: np.choose(A[0,:,:], (-1,-C,C,-1)) and
np.choose(A[0,:,0].reshape((3,1)), (-1,-C,C,1)), e.g., also work, but
np.choose(A[0,:,0], (-1,-C,C,-1)) doesn't - what's necessary for choose's
arguments is that both can be broadcast to a common shape (as you state
below), but choose won't reshape the arguments for you to make this
possible, you have to do so yourself first, if necessary.  That does appear
to be what's happening now; but do we want choose to be smarter than that
(e.g., for np.choose(A[0,:,0], (-1,-C,C,-1)) to work, so that the user
doesn't need to include the .reshape((3,1)))?

DG