[Numpy-discussion] How to tell whether I am using 32 bit or 64 bit numpy?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 07:38:10 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM, John Reid <j.reid at mail.cryst.bbk.ac.uk> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> from platform import machine
>> print machine()
>>
>> Should give you something like x86_64 for 64 bits intel/amd architecture,
>

> In [3]: from platform import machine
>
> In [4]: print machine()
> i686
>

> Now I'm wondering why the OS isn't 64 bit but that's not for discussion
> here I guess.

Generally, at least on linux, you have to choose a difference
installation CD (or bootstrap method) depending on whether you want 32
or 64 bits OS when installing. Assuming a 64 bits capable CPU, I think
you can't run 64 bits binaries on a 32 bits OS, but the contrary is
more common (I don't really know the details - I stopped caring with
vmware :) ).

cheers,

David