[Numpy-discussion] Not enough storage for memmap on 32 bit WinXP for accumulated file size above approx. 1 GB

Kim Hansen slaunger at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 07:18:04 EDT 2009

> You could think about using some kind of virtualisation - this is
> exactly the sort of situation where I find it really useful.
>
> You can run a 64 bit host OS, then have 32 bit XP as a 'guest' in
> VMware or Virtualbox or some other virtualisation software. With
> recent CPU's there is very little performance penalty (running 32bit
> on a 64bit host) and it can be very convenient (it is easy to map
> network drives between guest and host which perform very well since
> the 'network' is virtual)
>
> Cheers
>
> Robin
That is actually a very good idea. I had never thought of that myself.
I will give it some consideration once I am sure I have exhausted
options which do not require installing a new OS on the machine.
Somewhat reluctant concerning risks, like, will the 32 bit drivers
still work on the HW the propriatary 32 bit program is using, on a 64
bit host OS etc....also because I haven't tried using VMware etc -
I've heard it should be quite easy though....

Cheers,
Kim