[Numpy-discussion] using numpy functions on an array of objects

Sebastian Walter sebastian.walter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 11:30:58 EST 2009

Wouldn't it be nice to have numpy a little more generic?
All that would be needed was a little check of the arguments.

If I do:
numpy.trace(4)
shouldn't numpy be smart enough to regard the 4 as a 1x1 array?
numpy.sin(4) works!

and if
x = my_class(4)

wouldn't it be nice if

numpy.trace(x)
would call
x.trace() ?

numpy.sin(my_class(4)) works!

Wouldn't it be nice if numpy worked a little more consistent.
Is this worth a ticket? Or am I missing something here?