[Numpy-discussion] Replacement for numpy.distutils.config.try_run

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 9 03:21:47 EST 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> 2009/1/9 David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
>
>>> What do you suggest as workarounds?
>>>
>> What about not using tests which need to run on the target platform :)
>>

> Let me simplify the question.  How do you detect the version of the
> local Fortran compiler without executing the compiler?  Or is that OK,
> and you'd simply like to avoid compiling and running code?

Ah, sorry, I used the autotools vocabulary you may not be familiar with:
when cross compiling, you have at least two platforms, build and
host/target (host/target is the same unless you build cross-compilers).
If I build foobar on linux for windows, linux is the build, windows the
host/target.

Anything which runs on the host/target platform cannot work in this
context; anything on the build of course can - which generally includes
compilers, etc... Basically, assuming a working compiler,
pre-processing, compiling, linking test code snippets is OK. Running is not.

cheers,

David