[Numpy-discussion] Replacement for numpy.distutils.config.try_run

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Jan 9 02:32:37 EST 2009

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In distutils/config.py line 32 I see:
>
>                       "Usage of try_run is deprecated: please do not \n" \
>                       "use it anymore, and avoid configuration checks \n" \
>                       "involving running executable on the target machine.\n" \
>
> What is the recommended way of doing configuration checks now?

It only refers to try_run kind of checks (that is when you need to run
an executable on the machine). I added this when I had some problems
running it on windows 64 bits with python 2.6 - According to Martin
Loewis, try_run was not supposed to work everywhere, in particular in
cross-compilation contexts (which is relatively current for windows in
the context 32 vs 64 vs itanium).

It happened that in that particular case where it is used in numpy, I
found a way around it, but I would like to get rid of it completely at
some point.

David