[Numpy-discussion] parallel compilation of numpy

Brian Granger ellisonbg.net at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 00:45:14 EST 2009

David,

Thank you very much for writing this summary up.  It collects a lot of
useful information about the subtle and difficult issues related to
building multi-language python packages.

The reason that Ondrej and I are asking all of these questions is that
we are currently exploring build systems for a couple of projects we
are working on (together).  In general, my sense is that distutils
won't be sufficient for our build needs.  Thus, we are looking at
Scons, cmake, numscons, waf, etc.  Honestly, compared to plain
distutils, *any* of these other solutions seem very nice, even that
each of them has its own downsides.

The big challenge as you mention is that distutils does do certain
things that plain Scons, cmake or waf doesn't:

* Install Python package in a way that is consistent with common
Python practices (site-packages, etc.)
* Integration with setuptools and eggs, which enables things like
namespace packages.
* Windows installers, source tarballs.
* Uploads to pypi.

I wonder if it wouldn't be too difficult to simply implement these
capabilities in raw cmake/Scons/waf and do away with distutils all
together.  But, I don't really know enough about distutils or
cmake/scons/waf to know if this is reasonable to dream about.

Cheers,

Brian