[Numpy-discussion] numscons/numpy.distutils bug related to MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:58:51 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 18:53, Brian Granger <ellisonbg.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hmm, that's still going to break for any custom build that decides to
>> build Python with a specific MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET. If you're going
>> to fix it at all, it should default to the value in the Makefile that
>> sysconfig is going to check against. The relevant code to copy is in
>> sysconfig._init_posix().
>
> Yes, I agree that sysconfig._init_posix() has the proper logic for
> this.  This logic should also be applied to Cython as well probably.
>
> Would you say that the proper fix then is to inspect the Makefile and
> set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET to the valued used to build Python
> itself.  Or should we still try to set it to 10.3 in some cases (like
> the current numpy.distutils does) or look at the environment as well?

1) Trust the environment variable if given and let distutils raise its
error message (why not raise it ourselves? distutils' error message
and explanation is already out in THE GOOGLE.)

2) Otherwise, use the value in the Makefile if it's there.

3) If it's not even in the Makefile for whatever reason, go with 10.3.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco