[Numpy-discussion] dot function or dot notation, matrices, arrays?

Dag Sverre Seljebotn dagss at student.matnat.uio.no
Tue Dec 22 04:06:50 EST 2009

Christopher Barker wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> This is readily done -- there is no computational portion except for
>> what is in NumPy/Scipy or scikits, and I intend for it to remain that
>> way. It's just another interface, really.
>>
>> (What kind of computations were you thinking about?)
>
> Nothing in particular -- just computational as opposed to symbolic
> manipulation.

OK. As a digression, I think it is easy to get the wrong impression of
Sage that it is for "symbolics" vs. "computations". The reality is that
the symbolics has been one of the *weaker* aspects of Sage (though
steadily improving) -- the strong aspect is computations, but with
elements that NumPy doesn't handle efficiently: Arbitrary size integer
and rationals, polynomials (or vectors of their coefficients if you wish
-- just numbers, not symbols), and so on.

So the Sage design is very much about computation, it is just that the
standard floating point hasn't got all that much attention.

--
Dag Sverre