[Numpy-discussion] dot function or dot notation, matrices, arrays?

David Goldsmith d.l.goldsmith at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 13:52:41 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Christopher Barker
<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov> wrote:
> Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
>> I recently got motivated to get better linear algebra for Python;
>
> wonderful!
>
>> To me that seems like the ideal way to split up code -- let NumPy/SciPy
>> deal with the array-oriented world and Sage the closer-to-mathematics
>> notation.
>
> well, maybe -- but there is a lot of call for pure-computational linear
> algebra. I do hope you'll consider building the computational portion of
> it in a way that might be included in numpy or scipy by itself in the
> future.

My personal opinion is that the LA status quo is acceptably good:
there's maybe a bit of an adjustment to make for newbies, but I don't
see it as a very big one, and this list strikes me as very efficient
at getting people over little bumps (e.g., someone emails in: "how do
you matrix-multiply two arrays?" within minutes (:-)) Robert or
Charles replies with "np.dot: np.dot([[1,2],[3,4]],[[1,2],[3,4]]) =
array([[7,10],[15,22]])").  Certainly any significant changes to the
base should need to run the gauntlet of an NEP process.

DG