[Numpy-discussion] What type should / return in python 3k when applied to two integer types?

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 17:40:42 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 3:26 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 14:22, Christopher Barker<Chris.Barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>
> > By the way -- is there something about py3k that changes all this? Or is
> > this just an opportunity to perhaps make some backward-incompatible
> > changes to numpy?
>
> Python 3 makes the promised change of int/int => float.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

I also intend to make it work with

from future import division

As a start. Because we only support python >= 2.4, the new division is
available and that could help us with porting.
I've also considered making that import the default for numpy
internally, so we can fix things up, but that may be a
bit radical.

Chuck