[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: GPU Numpy

Romain Brette romain.brette at ens.fr
Fri Aug 7 06:06:36 EDT 2009

Sturla Molden a écrit :
> Thus, here is my plan:
>
> 1. a special context-manager class
> 2. immutable arrays inside with statement
> 3. lazy evaluation: expressions build up a parse tree
> 4. dynamic code generation
> 5. evaluation on exit

There seems to be some similarity with what we want to do to accelerate
our neural simulations (briansimulator.org), as described here:
http://brian.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/brian/trunk/dev/BEPs/BEP-9-Automatic%20code%20generation.txt?view=markup
(by the way BEP is "Brian Enhancement Proposal")
The speed-up factor we got in our experimental code with GPU is very
substantial when there are many neurons (= large vectors, e.g. 10 000
elements), even when operations are simple.

Romain