[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: GPU Numpy

Sturla Molden sturla at molden.no
Thu Aug 6 19:10:52 EDT 2009

Charles R Harris wrote:

> I mean, once the computations are moved elsewhere numpy is basically a
> convenient way to address memory.

That is how I mostly use NumPy, though. Computations I often do in
Fortran 95 or C.

NumPy arrays on the GPU memory is an easy task. But then I would have to
write the computation in OpenCL's dialect of C99? But I'd rather program
everything in Python if I could. Details like GPU and OpenCL should be
hidden away. Nice looking Python with NumPy is much easier to read and
write. That is why I'd like to see a code generator (i.e. JIT compiler)
for NumPy.

Sturla