[Numpy-discussion] yubnub and numpy examples

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 5 10:49:43 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM, John Hunter <jdh2358 at gmail.com> wrote:

> yubnub is pretty cool -- it's a command line interface for the web.
> You can enable it in firefox by typing "about:config" in the URL bar,
> scrolling down to "keyword.URL", right click on the line and choose
> modify, and set the value to be
>
> http://www.yubnub.org/parser/parse?default=g2&command=
>
> Then, you can type yubnub commands in the URL bar, eg, to see all
> commands related to python, type "ls python" in the URL bar.
>
> It's easy to create new commands; I just created a new command to load
> the docs for a numpy function; just type in the URL bar:
>
>  npfunc convolve

very cool, thanks!

> which takes you directly to
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/generated/numpy.convolve.html
>
> I was hoping to create a similar command for the numpy examples, but
> the URL links in http://www.scipy.org/Numpy_Example_List_With_Doc are
> some md5 gobbledy-gook.  Is it possible to have nice URLs on this
> page, so they can be more readily yubnub-ized?

Most of those examples have been integrated in the docstrings, and many more
have been written in the doc wiki. They also use "from numpy import *"
instead of the np namespace. So instead of spending time fixing links, it
might make more sense to generate a new version of this page (with more
useful links) from the docstrings themselves.

Cheers,
Ralf