[Numpy-discussion] Is this a bug in numpy.distutils ?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:09:13 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 9:31 AM, David Cournapeau<cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 8:13 PM, David
> Cournapeau<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> I think I understand the problem. Unfortunately, that's looks tricky to
>> solve... I hate distutils.
>
> Ok - should be fixed in r7281.

Just to clarify - it's still true I guess that this:

python setup.py build_ext --compiler=mingw32 --inplace

just can't work - because the --compiler flag does not get passed to
the build step?

I noticed, when I was trying to be fancy:

python setup.py build build_ext --inplace

this error:

  File "/home/mb312/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/command/build_ext.py",
line 74, in run
    self.library_dirs.append(build_clib.build_clib)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'build_clib' referenced before assignment

because of the check for inplace builds above that, leaving build_clib
undefined.  I'm afraid I wasn't quite sure what the right thing to do
was.

Thanks a lot,

Matthew