[Numpy-discussion] Compiling for free on Windows32

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 03:14:19 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 01:52, David Cournapeau
<david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> David Cournapeau wrote:
>> Robert Kern wrote:
>>
>>> I have found that people are more willing to accept that they have to
>>> do something different to get a technically chalenging feature (i.e.
>>> use a particular installer to get a safe, optimized BLAS) than to
>>> accept that a relatively straightforward feature is not available at
>>> all (i.e. egg binaries on PyPI).
>>
>> In that case, would a simple bdist_wininst-based installer available on
>> pypi be enough ? Or do eggs have other benefit compared to .exe ?
>
> (I meant in the context of easy_install, where numpy would be a dependency)

easy_install is documented to be able to find and convert a
bdist_wininst .exe on the fly, so I believe that should be sufficient.
It might be tricky ensuring that it finds the correct one on the
Sourceforge page, though. You may need to ensure that the names of the
optimized .exes won't be interpreted by easy_install as being
bdist_wininst installers that it can use.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco