[Numpy-discussion] DVCS at PyCon

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 01:19:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 11:13 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM,  <josef.pktd at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> In the file browser, I'm still missing change dates, tree view doesn't
>> have dates to quickly see which files got changed last,  e.g.
>>
>> http://projects.scipy.org/gitweb?p=scipy;a=tree;h=refs/heads/trunk;hb=trunk
>
> Yes, you can't see this cheaply with git (as it does not track
> individual files), but I don't really understand what's useful in this
> view. What matters is the commits, not the last changed files which
> come from different commits.
>
>> Cannot obtain needed commit 9e55c6b0809e66049f808448a2ce3a1131e318fe
>> while processing commit 7a429837e7ea88547711e5b3b5b9e38569fad553.
>> fatal: Fetch failed.
>
> That may be a problem with the connection, or our own git
> configuration. But connection errors in svn can be pretty cryptic too.
> I agree the above message is bad, but not worse than "MKACTIVITY not
> authorized" and the likes I consistently get with svn behind corporate
> firewall/proxies.
>
> At least with git I can continue working.
>
>> I created a branch but on my file system nothing happened. So I
>> started to read the tutorial, which says that all branches are in the
>> same directory. How can I edit files on the file system if I don't
>> know what branch I'm in?
>
> This may be a limitation of the GUI - in the command line, you simply
> do "git branch" to list your local branches (git status also tell you
> the branch you are currently in).
>

>> Is there a way to have branches in different directories?
>
> I don't think you should start with all this. That's why our wiki page
> does not introduce branches right away:
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/numpy/wiki/GitWorkflow
>
> It enables you to do what you usually do with svn, without branches
> and the likes.
>
>> I don't want
>> to have to start git all the time when I'm editing some files on a
>> branch?
>
> You have to if you need to change between branches, there is no way around it.
>

>> C:\Josef\work-oth\!oth\testbranches\copyofpv>git log -p master..pv/master
>> fatal: ambiguous argument 'master..pv/master': unknown revision or path not in t
>> he working tree.
>
> That's because you don't have both branches in your repository. You
> need branches to compare in the same repository (directory). You can
> list branches with git branch -a, and then git log branch1..branch2
> will work for any two branches listed.
>
> Same for any other command. But this is already a bit advanced usage
> (and again, it is not like doing branch stuff with svn is any easier -
> the svn documentation is very cryptic too on that matter). I think
> what is relevant is whether the simple svn workflow can be done with
> git. Trying to do branches as in svn won't work, as it is
> fundamentally different.

I was comparing this more to my short experience with bazar, after a
few hours, I had a scipy checkout and several branches in different
directories, and could relatively easily compare and merge and pull
between the different branches.

I'm very used to working out of windows explorer as my main file
access, and when I quickly edit something, I don't need to tell bzr or
svn which version I am working on, I know it from the directory
structure and can add and commit at some later point. So, for my
style, working with different clones instead of branches seems easier.
And for example, pysvn workbench lets me browse the directory tree
showing the change and commit status per directory and diff to head
and branches for each file in the gui.
The history browser seems much better in the git gui.

I managed to finally also get a diff between clones on the command
line. but in the gui, I still get the unable to fork error. The git
gui seems to still need a bit of work to be useful.

I'm not behind a proxy, just behind the wireless router, and I never
had problems with svn.

Josef