[Numpy-discussion] f2py-problem fcompiler for f90-files missing

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 10:25:19 EDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Tobias Lindberg
<Tobias.Lindberg at byggvetenskaper.lth.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried to find anything in the archives to help me solve this problem
> but nothing of the suggested things seems to work.
> Background:
> I have installed the Python(xy) package (full) (numpy 1.2.1.2) both on my XP
> and Vista machine. On both these machines I have VS2008 installed as well.
> So the first problem I got was this;
>
> No module named msvccompiler in numpy.distutils; trying from distutils
> error: Python was built with Visual Studio 2003;
> extensions must be built with a compiler than can generate compatible
> binaries.
> Visual Studio 2003 was not found on this system. If you have Cygwin
> installed,
> you can try compiling with MingW32, by passing "-c mingw32" to setup.py.
>
> Then I read that one could write like this;
>
> f2py -m test -c test.f90 --compiler=mingw32
>
> Then I got this error;
>
> error: f90 not supported by GnuFCompiler needed for fort_mod.f90
>
> so then I check which fcompilers there were and got this;
>
> Fortran compilers found:
>   --fcompiler=gnu  GNU Fortran 77 compiler (3.4.5)
> Compilers available for this platform, but not found:
>   --fcompiler=absoft   Absoft Corp Fortran Compiler
>   --fcompiler=compaqv  DIGITAL or Compaq Visual Fortran Compiler
>   --fcompiler=g95      G95 Fortran Compiler
>   --fcompiler=gnu95    GNU Fortran 95 compiler
>   --fcompiler=intelev  Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for Itanium apps
>   --fcompiler=intelv   Intel Visual Fortran Compiler for 32-bit apps
> and the thing is that I have this g95.py under
> c:\Python25\Lib\site-packages\numpy\distutils\fcompiler\
>
> so why does  not this thing wotk? And more important, how can I make it
> work?
>
> I hope someone can help me with this.
>
> Best regards
>
> /tobias

I guess this means that in MingW you only have the fortran 77
compiler, and for f.90 you need a newer compiler (g95 or gfortran ?)

Since I only use g77, I cannot help with the recommended update. Until
I really need it, I stick with the official MingW release version.

Josef