[Numpy-discussion] PyArray_SETITEM macro ends in semicolon

jason-sage at creativetrax.com jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Thu Sep 25 21:07:05 EDT 2008

Dag Sverre Seljebotn wrote:
> jason-sage at creativetrax.com wrote:
>
>> I'm working on getting the Sage matrices for real/complex doubles to use
>> numpy as a backend.  In this, I'm using the PyArray_SETITEM macro from
>> within Cython.  However, Cython wraps the macro in a function call to
>> convert the output to a Python value:
>>
>>   __pyx_1 = PyInt_FromLong(PyArray_SETITEM(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy,
>> PyArray_GETPTR2(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy, __pyx_v_i, __pyx_v_j),
>> __pyx_v_value));
>>
>> However, after preprocessing, because of the semicolon at the end of the
>> SETITEM macro, we get:
>>

>> PyInt_FromLong(((PyArrayObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy))->descr->f->setitem((PyObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_value), (char *)(((void *)((((PyArrayObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy))->data) + (__pyx_v_i)*(((PyArrayObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy))->strides)[0] +
>> (__pyx_v_j)*(((PyArrayObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy))->strides)[1]))), (PyArrayObject
>> *)(__pyx_v_self->_matrix_numpy)););
>>
>> Note that at the end, we have a "););".  The file refuses to compile.
>> Presumably, since SETITEM returns a value, wrapping the return value in
>> a function call seems to be a reasonable thing to do.  Would there be a
>> problem in eliminating the semicolon and instead wrapping the entire
>> function body in parenthesis?
>>
>> I noticed that GETITEM also ended in a semicolon, though I didn't have
>> the same problem as above since Cython didn't automatically wrap it in a
>> function call (I'm not even sure if it returns something).
>>
>> On a side note, is the above the best way (i.e., fastest way given an
>> arbitrary numpy array) to set/get
>> an element?
>>

> If I get to where I want to be with Cython/NumPy integration, there
> definitely shouldn't be a need to call PyArray_SETITEM from Cython.
>
> As you already use Cython, and if you know that your array is
> real/complex doubles (as indicated by your post), and also know that you
> have two dimensions (as indicated by your code), then there are
> definitely faster methods. Have you looked at the Cython numpy array
> support, as explained in
>
> http://wiki.cython.org/tutorials/numpy
>
> ? (This was mentored by Robert Bradshaw of Sage too). Your usecase looks
> like a place where it can be used. I am actively developing this, so if
> you wish you can send me proposals for changes to the Cython NumPy
> support which fixes whatever issues you have with it. (Support for
> access to complex numbers is an obvious one and that is worked on now.)

Yes, I'm excited about this.  In fact, I held off making the transition
to numpy for a while thinking that the buffer interface would be in
Sage's Cython any day.  However, I realized that the biggest thing this
would affect would be the getter and setter function for an array entry
(most things are just offloaded to numpy/scipy functions), so I decided
to make a push for it and convert the double and complex double matrices
over to numpy arrays anyway.  I'm really looking forward to seeing the
cython buffer access, though.  Thanks for all your work; I've been
lurking on the mailing list archives and Cython website to track the
progress on occasion during the summer.

> (As an aside, the int returned from PyArray_SETITEM is likely an error
> return value (though I'm not 100% sure). Converting it to a Python long
> is really inefficient, type the variable that is assigned to as an int.
> But that really belongs on the Cython list.)

That's a really good point.  Thanks.  It is an error value; I should
type it to prevent it from being converted to a python long.

Thanks,

Jason