[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Michael Abshoff michael.abshoff at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 18 19:20:04 EDT 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 06:26, Francis <F.Drossaert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you for your effort. I guess garnumpy reflects the idea in this
>> Pylab discussion: http://www.scipy.org/PyLab
>>
>> Again I get errors in libblas/lapack related to gfortran (local
>> variable problems). I replaced the libblas.a and the liblaplack.a by
>> the ones of sage. And started make install again. It seems to work
>> until it tries to configure/install umfpack.
>>
>> /users/francisd/garnumpy/lib/libblas.a(xerbla.o): In function
>> `xerbla_':
>> xerbla.f:(.text+0x1b): undefined reference to `_g95_get_ioparm'
>
> Yes, SAGE uses g95, not gfortran.

It depends :)

Per default on OSX and Linux x86 and x86-64 Sage provides a binary g95.
You can use the environment variable SAGE_FORTRAN to set it to gfortran.
Additionally there is some hacked in code in various places in setup.py
of Scipy that autodetects which Fortran libraries (g95 or gfortran)
ATLAS was build with and adds those to the LDFLAGS dynamically. That
code it butt ugly (and it is Perl, too :)), but it does the job.
Obviously it will not help if mix and match Fortran compilers.

Cheers,

Michael