[Numpy-discussion] installing numpy and scipy on OS X 10.4

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 15:50:47 EDT 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 11:54, W Bradley Knox <bradknox at cs.utexas.edu> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm trying to install numpy and scipy on my Mac that runs OS X 10.4.
> It looks like my only option is to use the subversion copies. After
> running "python setup.py install" in the numpy directory, it seems to
> install, despite some error messages tucked away in the middle of the
> installation output (I can send that if I need to).
>
> Trying to import numpy fails though:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>  File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py",
> line 116, in <module>
>    raise ImportError(msg)
> ImportError: Error importing numpy: you should not try to import numpy from
>        its source directory; please exit the numpy source tree, and relaunch
>        your python intepreter from there.
>
> This happens from any directory, including /. Any thoughts on how I
> could fix this?

Can we have your build log? Something went wrong there, and some files
didn't get installed (which __init__ uses to determine whether it has
been installed or being run from the source tree).

Even though you have gotten the Superpack to work for you, this is a
problem I would like to at least know about.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco