[Numpy-discussion] math directive, rest files and sphinx

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Tue Sep 16 10:09:18 EDT 2008

Hi Stéfan

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

> I expanded the mathml module in the reference guide source to handle
> constructs as they came up.  I never did try to do matrices, though,
> so it's quite likely that it hasn't been implemented.

Does that mean you have to implement latex parsing by yourself ?

> I'm not sure if there is an "official" version anywhere.  The URL I
> got it from is in the top of the source, but I've modified the code
> since.  I guess fixing our version on launchpad is a good start.

Ok, thanks. I thought this was done for numpy, but I guess not.

> While I like the mathml approach, it does not render perfectly on all
> browsers and, as you've discovered, doesn't support all the
> constructs.  It may be easier to switch to the math module now in
> Sphinx, rather than to update the mathml module.  I'll leave the
> decision up to Pauli and yourself;

I don't think I am entitled to make any decision here: I have no
knowledge of the stack involved here. I can only confirm than using
sphinx 0.5 (the dev version) does work for latex constructs; I could not
make the JS backend work, but again, I know nothing about web frameworks
and co, and I guess setting up a webserver for this to work to be
trivial for anyone who knows his stuff here.

cheers,

David