[Numpy-discussion] building numpy locally but get error: undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Francis Drossaert f.drossaert at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 02:58:20 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I am trying to install python2.5/scipy/numpy/sympy/matplotlib locally,
because of various reasons. I am not root.

At home I am using Ubuntu and I am root and everything works as it should.

So far I managed to make python2.5, sympy and ipython to run fine on
my computer at work, but I am struggling to make numpy+scipy since I
am trying to install it locally. The problem is likely the
lapack+atlas build. I have followed the build by hand instructions on
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Linux. I am not getting any
errors during the build and install.

However after installing I tried to import numpy in python and
received to following error:  ImportError:
/users/francisd/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: zgesdd_

Googling this error, it seems that the error is caused by having a
wrong lapack version. I am running Centos 5 (basically Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 5) on a x86_64 machine.

Does anybody know how I can get the right version, by changing some
flags, or whatever? FYI I have added the -m64 flag for the lapack
build, but no change.

Cheers,

Francis