[Numpy-discussion] cannot find numpy 1.2 for python 2.6 on window

David Cournapeau david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Sun Oct 5 09:07:10 EDT 2008

Hanni Ali wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> Yeah nose was an issue, thanks for letting me know about nose
> compatibility being sorted that's good news as I use it a bit with my
> testing.
>
> I last built 1.1.1 with express for 32bit it went fine (although I
> think you do have to comment out , I was also able to compile with
> 2008 full for 64-bit platform, my next goal is to see if i can sort
> out blas etc. external libs on 64bit.

That's the major difficulty: no open source blas/lapack (that I am aware
of) are buildable with MS compilers, and there is no official open
source compiler (mingw) on 64 bits. Also, cygwin itself is not available
in 64 bits (only available on WOW, the windows subsystem to run 32 bits
on 64 bits OS).

Atlas, in particular, is not buildable for 64 bits windows AFAIK.

> > #ifndef HAVE_FREXPF
> > static float frexpf(float x, int * i)
> > {
> >     return (float)frexp((double)(x), i);
> > }
> > #endif
> > #ifndef HAVE_LDEXPF
> > static float ldexpf(float x, int i)
> > {
> >     return (float)ldexp((double)(x), i);
> > }
> > #endif
>
> At the time I had tried to send further output following a checkout,
> but couldn't get it to post to the list, I think the message was too
> big or something. I will probably be having a go with 1.2.0, when I
> get some time. I'll let you know how it goes.

I did some heavy refactoring for the above problems, and it should be
now easier to handle (in the trunk). I could build 1.2.0 with VS 2008
express on 32 bits (wo blas/lapack), and there are some test errors -
albeit relatively minor at first sight. I have not tried on 64 bits.

cheers,

David